Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Refocusing...

Philippians 4:4-7 4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Rejoice in the Lord always…do I? No, and why is that b/c I am a selfish sinner who needs to constantly be redeemed by my Lord and Savior. I too often get so caught up in worldly things that I truly have no control over.

Let you gentleness be evident to all…gee big NO on that one too. I have been far from gentle lately. I am so frustrated; angry with the system that I have let it overrule any goodness and prayer I should be focusing on. I pray for a gentle heart.

Do not be anxious about anything…wow am I failing or what?! I am one big ball of anxious. Our lives are in limbo on many levels, and it is hard not to let the anxiety rule me and my actions. Is that a good excuse? Absolutely not. But in everything by prayer and petition. It sounds so simple, but my pride and own emotions sometimes become my road block to conversation with my Father.

Present your requests…all I want right now is to know that what I am doing is the right thing. I feel so stretched, but I should be focusing on what God has given me. As I read last night we are to live as a family of God. Being there for each other including the orphans and widows, and I just don’t see that happening. Our lives are going 20 different directions, and we collapse at night. I have nothing left to give at the end of the day. Are all these things that we have going on in our lives going to matter when it comes to the end? No.

Most do not think about their mortality often, except for maybe the older we get. I have really begun to think of my mortality. My husband’s friend just lost his mother to cancer. She was only in her 50’s, and was a God serving, non-smoking, no drugs woman, but our Father took her home. When I think of my life ending before my children are married, and have kids it almost makes me crazy. Is my heart right? Have I lived for the Lord? Will Jesus be there ready to greet me?

One thing that I did realize while reading was the phrase “saturate yourself in God’s word”. I need saturated in His word, b/c that is the only way I will know what He wants me to do. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

Jason said...

thanks for your honesty and transparency. i have often read that passage and over and over again think "man, i really fall short here". thankfully, we have a loving father that is the model of forgiveness welcoming us back with open arms.

susie said...

Once again, your writing has touched me. PLEASE CONTINUE TO WRITE! As Jason said, your honesty and transparency shines thru. Thank you. What would we do without a savior? We fall so short of the mark everyday. I cannot live without his grace to sustain me. Our sin makes us all even before the Lord. His grace takes us above it. What would we do without his grace?