Friday, April 20, 2007

Everything happens for a reason...

How many times have you heard that said to you in your life? I have heard it more times than I would care to count, but looking back over the years I know that it stands the test of time in truth.

The only problem is telling your heart and head to coordinate when you are going through those times of just wanting to either disappear or turn into a recluse! Sometimes I think I personally focus on the issues that are going on in my life, b/c they tend to be numerous and frequent! They never seem to be minimal items, they tend to be life changing, life altering things occuring...if you know me you know what I mean. I used to think that I had been such a horrible person that I deserved all the grief and pain I have had to endure, but as I have gotten older I realize that is not the truth. Some of the issues I bring on to myself...self-sabotage. A lovely sympton of my childhood. I will probably work for the rest of my days trying to overcome or at least minimize this issue.

Everyone's pain is crucial to them. I had and still can be a self-absorbed, pompous you know what on a bad day! I have come to an understanding with myself that I can't control life or those around me..I can only control me, and not a very good job at that all the time either! When I stop sitting in my pity pot of woes is me, I can tend to see that I have much to be thankful and happy for, but it doesn't change the fact that I fight that comfortability I find in that pot of pity.

All things happen for a reason...
I don't understand...I don't know why, but they do somehow work there way out, and I always look back and go "aha, i see it now". Not always, but most of the time.. Our Father has created us to glorify Him. I tend to lose sight of that when I try to figure out how, what and why...I will probably never have the answers to the deep, penetrating questions of my soul and past... Will I choose to hang on to that? Or will I let go and let God do His job??

"Five great enemies to peace inhabit us: avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride. If those enemies were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

Jason said...

I guess everything does happen for a reason. In the past, I often thought it was my job to figure it out or justify whatever it was. It had to make sense or have an answer. But I'm ok with not knowing. It took me a long time to figure this out, but, time, life and wisdom has shown me that needing to know, for me, was a control issue. Having the answer put me in the pilot seat.

It's not that I don't care why things happen, I just don't allow it to rob my trust in Him who is in control. It's freedom. Unfortunately this doesn't preclude the feelings that go with no answers but it also, doesn't change the facts. God is in control and not me. He either is who He says He is...or He's not.

Sue