Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The tongue..ugh what a powerful tool.

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:5-6

As I was journaling the other night, and reflecting on the day I began to think through what my many defects that I am struggling with are. Very first one that came to my mind was my tongue. I began to look up verses, and came across this one above in James...wow how powerful our tongues can be. Praise in one way, and curse out another!

A small spark, that is all it takes. I started thinking about all the things I say in a day without even thinking. That brought me to 2 Corinthians 6:3-4 We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry. In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God.

Words that are spoken by the tongue can cut like a knife. The hurts that are imprinted on my mind from my childhood and beyond were things said to me. The physical abuse was hard, but the words were harder to let go of.

A situation that I was put into today was a perfect example. Without identifying the person it may be difficult. I had to take "someone" somewhere today, and they have children, and the person watching their children has children. So we are talking 7 young ears...all under the age of 6. If I could count the profanity that was uttered in a matter of less than 3 minutes, all aimed at or around the children, I couldn't even tell you.... I wanted to cry. My heart was broken for all of the children, but to be quite honest they know no different. So very sad.

With the situation that I speak of...right now my hands are tied b/c of reasons I cannot disclose. I am an observer of sorts, but it is killing me. My gut instinct is to take all of those children and run, but I have learned the hard way I can't. I have to follow others rules...all I can do is pray, and hope God will give me strength to not let my tongue get the best of me towards the adults. I have to keep the door open to be a small light for these children to see this is not all there is to this life.

I don't want to make my own children stumble b/c of my tongue, but I also know I am not perfect. I am not above sitting my children down and asking for forgiveness...i have actually realized that humbling myself to my kids shows them how to humble themselves and not let pride overpower what is right.

Having the knowledge that words can cut like a knife from first hand experience is the first step to knowing that I have a choice to try and do the best I can to control my tongue. Let everything that comes from my mouth be a blessing to God...even on a very bad day! Progress not perfection.

No comments: