Thursday, May 3, 2007

Which one do you follow?

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars He loved the poor and accosted the rich So which one do you want to be? Who is this that you follow This picture of the American dream If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet.. (excerpt from a song by Todd Agnew)

I have heard this song many times, and just recently I think it just sank in. What a compelling and difficult question to ask myself..He spent so much time with the less fortunate, and I feel we as a society try to distance ourselves from people we believe are "lesser" than ourselves. Who put us on a pedestal?? I started thinking yesterday now that my husband finally has a "stable" job what will we do once we get things caught up? Go and get the material things we have been wanting, but couldn't afford? My sinfullness and straight honesty with you was the answer instantly was yes!

But the Holy Spirit convicted me before that thought could go further...No, we were in such a bad place monetarily and spiritually in the last year, that as a family I feel once we get "control" of our situation we need to learn to give back sacrificially. And not just with money, with time, love and one on one attention. That is so difficult in this world of want and constant busyness with things after this life is over don't mean a thing.

I just know that if Jesus were standing next to me, which I believe He does in many situations, how would I handle it? I also know that without wanting accolades of praise is the way I should give.

I am sometimes overwhelmed with my sinfullness, my past and so forth, but i know that God is always waiting there with open arms, and He is the only one that knows my true heart. We as a people believe from what we are taught that it is okay to classify, judge, and put people "unlike" us in a box. Jesus went against the grain, and welcomed those in need in. He obeyed His father. As I have gotten older and not having parents from the age of 9 on, obedience has been a struggle for me. I can only pray that I follow Jesus in His ways not my own, and obey my father...it is a work in progress and will be until I leave this earth..

What do you think?

2 comments:

Jason said...

you are right. Jesus did hang out with the lowly, disadvantaged and outcasts. he said many things about this in his teachings. we are quick to stay in our comfort zone and only hang with "like people". we are supposed to give a voice for those that do not have one -- wherever that may be --- Jesus did it "while he was going" which tells me it is just part of his every day routine.

the flip side if this is also true. he also spent time with the wealthy, leaders, etc...you see, they needed him too. so as i have been thinking about this, i would say that "in our going" we should serve and be Jesus to whoever we encounter - rich, poor, etc, etc...we should probably re-architect our "going" a little bit so we can hit a broader spectrum of people. just my 2 cents.

april said...

This is why it is good to not have a one-sided conversation! Thanks J. I know and agree with what you are saying...and you just proved my point of me understanding what it is like to be on the down-side feeling for them more...I guess it is easier, b/c it is very hard to look at someone who "looks" like they have it all and feel bad. (that is me) That is a very big flaw, and defect of mine that needs work! Thanks again for sharing.. :)